The Fellenz Family Farm
While our ground has been farmed since early in the 19th century and the older portions of the house were built before 1830, we didn't start farming here until 2002. After completing the required transition period we received our organic certification in 2005.
The farm has grown a little each year - we like to think of it as organic growth for an organic farm. In our first years we sold at the Farmers Markets in Geneva and Canandaigua, and also sold a little to a few stores and restaurants. Starting in 2004 we began our first CSA partnership in Canandaigua which was followed fairly quickly by CSAs in Geneva and Pittsford. As the CSAs grew we expanded our farm stand, started offering U-Pick berries, started selling canning quantities of berries, tomatoes and salsa ingredients through the Rochester Farm Connection.
In 2004 we built our first high tunnel for season extension and our own greenhouse for starting transplants. The first high tunnel was followed by several more in 2005, 2006 and 2007, 2009, and 2011. By the end of 2011 we had five small greenhouses for transplant production and six high tunnels. In 2008 we outgrew the few acres we have on Lester Rd and made an agreement with a neighbor to start using some of their certifiable ground also.